Pages

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Ultimate "Life Goals"

In Colossians, Paul calls us to clothe ourselves with compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, and patience. He then calls us to forgive as the Lord forgave us, and to love such as He loves. When I first came across Colossians, I had no idea that such a powerful, and meaningful piece of scripture was wedged in just a few short chapters, but God really has a way of working through Scripture because I could not have come across it at a better time. There are people in life that will treat you in a way that might not be what you think you deserve. In the past weeks I have let this fact bother me, and instead of conducting myself in the way that Paul describes, I let myself be angry, and act in a way that really didn't hurt that person anymore, it just hurt me more. I normally have a tendency to let things build up inside of me with the exception of telling one or two people in my life that I really trust, and value their judgement, and then normally after a while I blow up. But this time I didn't blow up. I decided to read scripture before I got to that point and I came across Colossians 3:12-17. It is amazing how God works. After reading that passage I immediately knew what I was supposed to do about the situation. The only thing that you could call my situation was plain old girl drama. If you look at Colossians 3:12-17 being a person that causes drama is not a trait that Paul says that we should have. I feel as if sometimes girls my age let ourselves  slip too easily into a dramatic situation, or make a situation a bigger deal than it truly is. But what I have realized is that if you focus on how scripture says that we conduct our life, relationships with people that truly care about you should not contain petty drama. What I have also realized is that Colossians 3:12-17 is "life goals." I feel like our generation easily gets caught up in the relationship goals, wardrobe goals, or traveling goals. Instead of wanting the possessions that other people have I have realized there is a much bigger picture. I want to achieve the personality that Paul describes in Colossians 3:12-17, because those traits will be there for a life time and even after. God won't be commenting on your extensive shoe collection in Heaven. Sorry girls I know it is a hard reality to face.